Monday, May 12, 2008

these are my Cop Sunglasses



My pupils couldn't have survived the camera's flash, I almost had to leave work today as by 3:30PM I was nauseated with vertigo and black spots in my vision from a really bad headache that was heading towards Migraine Station. I took some Advil LiquiGels and used a Headache Remover homeopathic stick that a couple of the girls at work lent me--I tell ya, if I get the urge to climb the Himalayas, I'm bringing Shannon and Pam with me. Lint remover? Safety pin? Band-Aids? Over the counter meds? They've got it. Nail polish? Nail polish remover? Check. And yet I drag around a huge tote AND a clutch, and the best I can come up with is sunscreen and an eyelash curler....it makes no sense.
So. A favorite black dress from Walmart, gold five inch Bebe heels, Revlon Renewist lipstick in Berry Fulfilling, and I powdered before I left work because I was tired of looking like a hot mess in my post work pics. Behold the power of Prescriptives! I really love their custom blend. My skin tone is really difficult to match--I am pale, red & blotchy, with a blue undertone to my skin, so it can't have a yellow undertone, but too much pink undertone and I look sunburned--anyway, sometimes it really is cheaper to go buy one right thing that lasts for years (I have had this powder probably about five years) than to waste 10 dollars every time you go to Walmart or the drugstore and piling up a lot of failures that you forget to return or lost the reciept. I mean, drugstore makeup costs now what department store makeup cost when I was a teenager (right after we discovered fire and invented the wheel), and I don't have money to waste, I need something that works so I can work it every day!
Aviator sunglasses, 12 bucks at Adger Grocery, dress, less than 20 bucks, shoes off eBay, I know less than fifty dollars. Add in my trusty black Lane Bryant bra, bought on sale, and my whole outfit is probably less than a hundred!

4 comments:

Madame Queen said...

What I want to know is WHY is drugstore makeup so darned expensive now? You're right, it's just as cheap to get the good stuff!

for a different kind of girl said...

You look like an international spy in that top photo. Not that I know a lot of international spies, but I see them on TV every once in awhile!

When I was younger, ahem, drugstore make up was hella cheap.

Probably because I once had a smidge of a shoplifting habit as a teen...

Peer pressure, woman! Peer pressure! Amazingly, as witnessed by the fact I'm here typing this comment, I did not, however, succumb to the fateful "Jump off a cliff" option.

Pez said...

The best thing about the good makeup too is that if you time it right, you can buy your stuff when there is a "gift with purchase" deal going on. I haven't had to buy eye shadow in eons because I use the good Lancome samples I get every few months!

And you look fab!

Madame Queen said...

Had to tell you I bought THE most awesome dress today from Macy's. It's black and white sort of geometric, swirly print. The best part? It was on sale for $17. Originally $70. Woot!